This year's Halloween Celebration might feel and look different but that does not mean we cannot have fun.
Here are some ideas for a joyful and educational Halloween:
1. For the reason that this year's celebrations might be different, try and keep things consistent for the children. Spend time with them, be physically present and have fun with them.
2. Explain how this year might be different, prepare them on the possible changes and communicate new expectations i.e. making sure they refrain from touching anything at someone else's house like doorbells or railings.
3. Remind them to respect others’ boundaries like keeping your distance and taking turns in trick or treating.
4. Also remember to stay in your bubble, have fun together and adults, you can wear a costume too!
Make sure to check Yukon.ca guidelines for Halloween guidelines.
1. Feelings activities – Pumpkin Feelings: Happy, Mad , Sad or Scared, Happy, Silly
Make time to communicate to children that some things might make someone scared, to others it might be funny or silly. Whatever we feel is okay.
2. Sensory/Calm down
- Moon Sand
- Water Play,
- Colored spaghetti
- Pumpkin guts
All these can be played with some Halloween themed materials such as insects, eyeballs, skeletons, etc.
Floam SLIME Recipe
STEP 1: Add 1/2 cup of Elmers Glue to your bowl
STEP 2: Mix with a 1/2 cup of water (you can try omitting this for a thicker floam).
STEP 3: Add food coloring as desired
STEP 4: Stir in 1/2 tsp baking soda
STEP 5: Stir in a cup and quarter of foam slime beads or as many as you desire!
STEP 6: Mix in 1 tbsp saline solution and stir until slime forms and pulls away from sides of bowl. This is exactly how much you will need with the Target Sensitive Eyes brand, but other brands may differ slightly!
If your slime still feels too sticky, you may need a few more drops of saline solution. As I mentioned above, start by squirting a few drops of the solution onto your hands and kneading your slime longer. You can always add but you can’t take away. Saline solution is preferred over contact solution.
> The Colour Monster by Anna Llenas
> Glad Monster, Sad Monster Novel by Ed Emberley
> Happy Halloween Stinky Face by Lisa McCourt
Let us know if you tried any of these activities! :)